Category Archives: McDonalds
It’s not really a protest, unless you have your very own counter-protest! A Face Book group called “Pro-Tecoma McDonalds protest against the protesters “is the latest absurdity to emerge out of the David against Goliath battle in Tecoma. The leader of the group appears to a 50 year old volunteer firefighter called Rowan Smith, but judging by his language on some of the FB threads, we are dealing with a teenage-troll. Unfortunately he is actually a school teacher. Here is a picture of Rowan Smith.Last week he physically attacked several Tecoma protesters with his own pro-McDonalds sign.
His language can be summed up in the following sentence:
FUCK OFF YOU FAT OLD DIRTY FILTHY HIPPY SLUT PEDOPHILE POOFTERS AND LET THE GREAT MCDONALDS TAKE THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE IN YOUR SHITHOLE OF A TOWN.
-Rowan Smith ( this one )
School teacher and role model? Good one, Rowan.
He even managed to summon his own troupe of supporters, probably plucked from his students, here they are: Great signs, kids.And lovely smiles too. It’s always heartening to see a bunch of young people playing outside. Judging by the fresh faces on this picture we strongly suspect that Rowan and his troupe are paid by McDonalds, way to go capitalists, make your living from other peoples misery!
When Face Book discussions got too heated for Rowan Smith (?) he threatened to bring in members of a bikie gang to sort things out :
When Rowan Smith isn’t busy abusing people with vile and childish ad-hominems , he actually attempts to make some “intelligent” points, which can be so easily rebutted, it’s laughable. Here are his points, straight off the Face Book press:
Rowan Smith Maccas at Tecoma
1. It’s a series of Australian franchises that gives our youth the first rung on the ladder of work. Trains them and supports charities, teams etc.
2. Opponents are full of prejudice. They are anti-business; anti-American to the point of racism.
3. Maccas went to VCAT and won. They lost several years ago when they wanted to open in Belgrave and accepted the verdict. They chose not to appeal. Their private land is now to be developed sensitively with an excellent design bringing benefits to a depressed little area.
4. Tecoma is not in the Hills and is not a village. It is a retail strip and zoned as such and full of fast food and booze. Maccas is a positive, legal addition.
5. Over 70% of locals want it to happen regardless of dishonest, pseudo-surveys.
6. Accept the umpire’s decision, the rule of law and go away protesters. Let the locals have some peace and Maccas their legitimate rights.
And here is my rebuttal, which is by no means complete, because I simply could not be bothered .
1. Yes, McDonalds provides training for young people. It also like to spit them out after the age of 18 when they become too expensive to hire or exhausted from their atrocious work conditions and the sheer boredom with the factory style work. McDonalds has lately been in the news in it’s own home country for underpaying it’s workers (slave labour) It does support schools and sports clubs (probably the school Rowan is teaching at too) because it wants to sell burgers, duh, so it cultivates a community-friendly image. It’s all about the mighty dollar, though, not the community. The corporation is foreign owned, so unlike a locally owned fish and chips shop, some of the profit leaves the country.
2. Opponents are anti-business? Two businesses were just shut down by demolition. Protesters tried to protect those businesses. Protesters are not anti-business nor against any specific American citizens, but against “Big Business” and corporate takeover. Nothing to do with rascism, unless Rowan is suggesting that corporations are persons, which they actually are under US law.
3. VCAT is an unconstitutional kangaroo court established by Jeff Kennet to make it easier for his cronies to acquire building permits rejected by local councils under the guise of law. Stangely the law states that fast food chains cannot be anywhere near primary schools, so some bribery was obviously involved here.
4. Rowan is suggesting that Tecoma is just a shopping strip with no-one else living there. Where do those pesky protesting residents live, then?
5. 6 people turned up to the anit-protest, clearly they represent 70% of Tecoma’s residents . (Sarcasm)
6. Rule of Law, legitimate rights? What about the rights of communities. If they are ignored, then this is not a democracy, which it isn’t. We live in a corporatocracy.
[ADMIN] Remember to read and reply to the comments, there is another rebuttal to Rowans claims.
This morning in Tecoma two buildings have been demolished on behalf of McDonalds Corporation. A sad day for the protesters who have fought so hard to prevent this from happening. While Tecoma appears to be losing the battle, along with other communities whose wishes are disrepected with the erection of inappropriate buildings and fast food outlets, one can only hope that this is a lesson for all.
The time has come for people to realize that our so-called democracy is in actual fact a corporatocracy and the battle against McDonalds can only be won on a national or global scale. As long as people eat there, more outlets will be built while Australia’s population keeps growing. And McDonalds is only one player in the global corporatocracy regime. They were allowed to grow big because people allowed them to : by supporting them. Only when the support is withdrawn on a massive scale can the tide turn.
This isn’t over. Even if McDonalds Tecoma gets built, there are other options : boycotting or discouraging people from eating ther or working there, but mostly by waking people up to the fact that corporations are taking over the world with, for the most part, the unconscious consent of the people.
Not only is McDonalds suing the eight protesters, it has also installed security cameras everywhere to photograph more protesters exercising their political rights and is even pursuing people who make anti McDonalds comments on social media..
Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power.
I’m sure Denis Napthine thought he got away with it not being mentioned here yet, well we did give you a chance to break the mould of the same BS we get from politicians. But Denis you have failed.
Two major political standoffs are have not been resolved. The Tecoma No McDonalds protest is well into its 10th month, and now ambulance paramedics are audacious enough to want to be able to afford to eat when they go home.
There is little point in having McDonalds restaurants causing terminal illnesses and traffic congestion (and accidents) in Tecoma, if the paramedics cant afford to eat what McDonald’s tries to pass off as ‘food’.
So what is Emperor Napthine doing about all of this? Just threaten them all to shut up and don’t cause a fuss. And don’t use social media to promote your cause, that might make me look bad, I wanna get re-elected you know.
It’s no secret that the Ambulance service in Victoria has been staring down the barrel at a massive budget blow out for many years, the aging population bubble, the penchant the aged have of going for a tree change or a sea change requiring long expensive ambulance ride to the vanishing hospitals. The Victorian State government can’t say this came as a surprise. Their only response is to cut costs at the most critical part of the operation, the paramedics (already low) wages.
Soon when you call 000, the ambulance will no longer be one of the options relayed to you, McDonald’s will have paid for a promo spot there, so you can have fries delivered to your cardiac arrest.
No paramedic does their job for the money, so when they are asking for more money,
I can assure you it’s from need, not greed
Death? Can I have fries with that?
Hi Denis Napthine, welcome to occupymelbourne.net, say Hi to Robert Doyle for us.
Protesters in Tecoma Victoria Australia are being threatened to not publicize their protest on Facebook or twitter.
This media outlet is neither Facebook nor Twitter and completely ignores orders from the unconstitutional courts.
If you are not a chapter 3 court as described in the Australian constitution, shut up and stop wasting our valuable reading and protesting time.
Everyone get to Tecoma now to stop McDonalds evil empire.
If you can’t get to Tecoma protest outside a McDonalds Store and refuse to ever buy McDonalds ever again.
Buying McDonalds products is a vote for Censorship and Fascism.
In a new development people protesting the McDonalds development in Tecoma have been ordered by the Supreme Court not to use Facebook or Twitter to incite protest. While the legality of these fascist methods needs to be questioned (Interfering with political liberty) there was no mention of WordPress,, so here it goes:
Get Your Arses to Tecoma And Help the Protesters !
Boycott McDonalds Everywhere Out Of Solidarity With Tecoma !
Mainstream media is spreading the message, that Janine Watson “fell” off the roof, instead of being brutally dragged off by security guards in front of several witnesses. We sincerly hope that the incident was filmed for legal purposes. Janine Watson claims that she was sitting on the surrounding fence to offer birthday cake to some of the security guards when they dragged her off and jumped on top of her.
Without a doubt the police are lying about the incident, because the fact is that this is a major PR disaster for McDonalds, who like to promote themselves as family frinedly. This may well be the major turning point in this corporate farce.
Often repeated views that McDonalds would bring much needed jobs to the area (and those much needed toilet blocks,LOL)are ridiculous and short -sighted. McDonalds will force other local businesses to shut down or relocate and surely the council could build their own toilet block, if it’s so badly needed.
In the afternoon, The Age joined the line of arse-coverers here:
In the picture Ms Watson is shown with a bandage around her hand and her arm in a sling. This would hardly be necessary for “abrasions”. A McDonalds spokeswoman is also quoted, labeling the protesters “violent”. It defies belief how Victoria Police Corporation and McDonalds corporation can officially turn the tables on a non-violent protester who in a gesture of good-will offered birthday cake to corporate thugs.