Category Archives: Actions & protests
The most publicly visible thing activists do. Protests, rallies and direct action to raise awareness and oppose the things we object to.
And so it begins. A few days after what may have been the largest protest in Melbourne history (estimates run from between 75000 to 100 000) against the Andrews government and their horrendous and insane “Pandemic Bill” we now find ourselves occupying Parliament. Exactly 10 years and one month to the day after the Occupy movement took over the world in 2011.
Many may not even remember the Occupy movement or Occupy Melbourne, which inspired the creation of this website one year after it’s inception. But the Occupy movement was a worldwide protest against bank bailouts ,corporate theft and political corruption – in other words a protest against fascism.
While the New York protest Occupy Wall Street originally gained some decent numbers for several weeks, the Occupy movement itself slowly faded after weeks or months or police evictions that wanted to prevent protesters from “camping”. Here in Melbourne we had a massive eviction from what used to be City Square and then we played cat and mouse with the police , the council and various groups of drug addicted homeless people (who were welcome in the movement but also had a somewhat disruptive influence at times).
The far left (represented by Socialist Alternative) tried to take over the movement initially, but were shouted down fairly quickly, leaving a motley crew of protesters from all persuasions and a small group of thinkers who were too far ahead of their time to be believed by the mainstream population who largely ignored them.
Despite those obstacles, Occupy Melbourne was one of the longest running “Occupy’s” in the world, running for 2 months and culminating in the famous tent monster parade where tents became clothes and could therefore not be moved on. Later the movement morphed into a Free Shop in 2012 and a Free Kitchen, which ran until 2014.
Then we were asked what we were protesting about and now , here today, the answer has finally occurred to tens of thousands of people : Something is wrong when ordinary people are not allowed to have control over their lives due to massive corporate and political interference.
Then it was the bank bailouts that governments supported with taxpayers money (mainly in the US and Europe) and the fallout from the GFC (Global Financial Crisis) which came about through corporate greed , now it is a pandemic of which many are not too sure that it actually is a pandemic, where the only winners appear to be huge corporations and the political class and democracy has gone out the window , possibly for good.
Not only does Occupymelbourne.net wish all the luck in the world to the brave souls who are now venturing on this very tricky path of occupying, we also wish that you have the numbers this time and that this time we the people can actually win, because this time it actually seems possible.
How does it feel to be on the right side of history ?
The usual spin and misrepresentation from the mainstream media about the protest in Melbourne yesterday, where 30 000 turned up to peacefully demonstrate against the Draconian Pandemic Bill. “Preaching human rights as those among them behaved like animals” “Unvaccinated cohort shrinking by the day”was the verdict by Channel 9. “1000 protesters” was the spin by Sky News. The channel 7 clip was muted , so no idea what bullshit they claimed.
Half my family has been vaccinated, the other half hasn’t, but we are not divided over a medical treatment like so many appear to be, there are bigger issues at stake here. If this bill passes you will have no rights, vaccinated or not. I dare say a good number of the protesters were themselves vaccinated.
In the city shops are empty, cafes and restaurants are mostly empty. It may be different in the suburbs, but it looks like people do not want to show their papers to be given the privilege to shop. The ice cream shop (Spring Street Grocer) next to the Imperial pub near Parliament made a killing serving thousands of protesters who brought their kids and dogs to this family friendly event, which appeared to be happy and peaceful with smiles all around, despite the seriousness of the matter.
After protesting on and off for the past year, those who did not support the Victorian government’s handling of the pandemic (To put it mildly) , came together for a big showdown yesterday against the permanent pandemic legislation the Andrews government wants to install once the temporary state of emergency expires for the final time sometime in mid December.
The issue is, that once the state of emergency has expired , with it go the mandates : no more masks, no more lockdowns and no more mandatory vaccines for workers. This means that while the pandemic is far from over, the Andrews government would have no more control over managing it and people would have to decide for themselves, how to manage their health and make their own decisions as responsible adults. Wow, what a concept!
Of course the MSM will labels these protesters as anti-vaxxers of the lunatic conspiracy fringe, when clearly these protests are not just about vaccines, but about freedom from government coercion and interference in general. Many of those who are protesting are in fact vaccinated, but want the same rights for all and no segregation on the basis of medical status or any other status and the right to free speech and free choice. The bill that Dan Andrews has introduced would give him ultimate powers without checks and balances and if this is voted in by brainless MPs, then civil war is a possible outcome for Victoria.
Because mask mandates have been lifted and freedom of movement has been restored (for now) in the world’s most locked down city, the police yesterday did not interfere with protesters, bash them or shoot them with rubber bullets and many commented on how lovely the officers were. Lovely? These are the same officers who will restrain you and put you in government specially built camps for the non-compliant if this pandemic bill passes. So please check yourself and do not trust the police simply because they are playing nice now. They are not nice. They are willing to sell their soul for a government paycheck. These are not good people, if they can even be considered people. None of them . If they were , they would not have done what they did, simple. The good ones resigned, and that is all there is to it.
The good people are those who fighting for their children now, the people who are fighting for freedom and the people who refused to take the jab to keep their job, the people who turned up yesterday and will continue to turn up every day until this fight has been won.
The world is watching Melbourne now. How does it feel to be on the right side of History?
Other items available: stickers, masks, hoodies, dresses.
Despite governments all over the world telling us that the only way out of Covid restrictions is mass vaccination (with a non-approved gene therapy that has not completed it’s stage 3 trials), we now know that this is impossible, as the so called vaccines do not prevent the spread and have possibly created the infamous “delta” variant and will create future vaccine resistant variants..
Endless re-vaccination with endless boosters while keeping restrictions or using “vaccine” passports are the government sponsored consequence. And while many perceive this as a threat, the fact remains that these measures are not enforceable, not in the short term and certainly not in the long run. The virus will always get out.
Modern Medicine cannot stop the spread of a respiratory virus. And neither can politicians.
A year ago we all knew that the only way out of the pandemic is herd immunity, which is why the original lockdowns were about “flattening the curve”
Then, as the possibility of a vaccine became tangible, the lies started. Unreliable PCR tests, useless mask and social distancing rules, people that died with Covid rather than from Covid, and most of all the political and media suppression of drugs that work like hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin.
The reason is, vaccines are big business and they are an even bigger business when every man , woman and child on this planet will have to get the jab indefinitely.
Here in Victoria, we have had the most weeks of lockdown anywhere in the world (About to enter week 35, which is more than 6 months overall, not counting mask mandates and other ineffective bullshit). Most of last year’s lockdown of Melbourne was in pursuit of a virus elimination policy (whatever happened to flatten the curve?) UNTIL we got a vaccine. Another goalpost has been shifted now, because although most at risk people had their shots early, now it’s suddenly about EVERYBODY getting the jab.
It is therefore no surprise, that Victorians, especially those under 40, who are at least risk form the virus, are getting “sick”, of the restrictions. They have lost complete faith in their government who has lied to them for 17 months and who are now saying”If you just stay home, we will open up”. Yeah, sure, tell me another..
Young people are now saying to the government “You are always going to find another reason to lock us down or force us into restrictions, no matter what we do, so why should we comply ? The result is mass protests that will continue and grow, as well as secret gatherings and street parties, not to mention the ridiculous “singles bubble” or the “partner bubble”, which cannot be enforced and have been “misappropriated” from the beginning. Sure, there are (sadly) dobbers, but they can only dob after an event, by then it’s too late and the superspreader event has already occurred.
The result: the virus will continue to produce mystery cases and therefore eternal lockdowns and eternal border closures by governments that have painted themselves into a corner with their unrealistic policies.
Hopefully people are waking up while this house of cards is falling down all around them . Now an increasingly desperate Dan Andrews has brought back the dreaded curfew between 9pm and 5am, as if that will stop increasingly popular street parties. Every so called health measure the government has implemented has been completely useless. What good is a lockdown if it only kicks the can down the road ? Some us us could see this trainwreck coming a year ago, some people can see it now, others will wake up next month or at Christmas. Most will wake up eventually .
This only stops when we say no.
1.You told us to stay home for two weeks to “flatten the curve”. We did as you asked. And 18 months later we are still locked in our homes.
2. You kept brothels open but closed churches because illicit sex wouldn’t spread the virus, but religious services would.
3. You tell us you are “following the science” while subjecting us to arbitrary restrictions with zero basis in science.4. You formed a national cabinet to fight Covid, and now use the national cabinet only to fight among yourselves — with our families, jobs and businesses as collateral damage.
5. You insisted that “we are all in this together” while we lost our jobs or saw our hours slashes and you got pay rises.
6. You keep thousands of Australian citizens from returning home while allowing a figure of such inconsequence such as Caitlyn Jenner into the country to film Big Brother, along with an entire other legion of luvvies.
7. You let these types head straight to compounds on the Queensland coast or at Byron Bay to quarantine while Australian citizens served their 14 days in poky hotel rooms with minimal facilities, many of which were health hazards themselves.
8. You refuse individuals the ability to visit interstate relatives — even immediate family — but give special exemptions to entire football teams to travel around the nation.
9. You told us Astrazeneca was unsafe for people under 60. Then you told us AZ was unsafe for people under 50. Now you urge us all to take AZ, and sneer at us if we hesitate to follow your ever-changing ‘expert’ advice. You, of course, have the power to reject this advice, but presumably are so afraid of having to take responsibility you’re happy to play along, despite the damaging confusion.
10. You said we can’t go overseas, but that the Queensland Premier simply must go overseas to pitch for an Olympic Games that we had already won and that we didn’t even want.
11. You tell us it’s too dangerous even to go outside but have created a bizarre economy and labour force that allows the wealthy to sit at home in their pyjamas getting paid to conduct Zoom meetings while the poor and many of the worst equipped to follow health warnings must daily risk their lives.
12. And can we please contrast your huffing and puffing from the weekend with your complete cowardice over those Black Lives Matter marches last year?You treat the public like mugs for the better part of two years, and then wonder why they take to the streets effectively saying, “screw you”.
Well, of course it’s a mystery.”
They control the narrative They perpetuate the myth
Keep on selling you lies Tell you ignorance is bliss
Believe it all and you Never get the truth
Never get wise, wise to their lies To their lies
They control the media They control the media They control the media They control the media
By Tom Woods
Masks have been taking a beating.
First it was the sudden Establishment consensus that outdoor mask mandates had no scientific merit and should be repealed.
Then it was the CDC saying that the vaccinated don’t need to wear masks.
Then, from this foundation, big stores like Trader Joe’s, Walmart, and Costco all announced that the vaccinated would not be required to wear masks in their stores — and added that they wouldn’t be verifying anyone’s vaccination status.
And yet in many places mask wearing is still overwhelmingly prevalent.
The wearers either don’t believe their vaccines work, or they suddenly don’t trust the CDC, or who knows what.
Or they’ve simply been so terrorized and propagandized that they can’t think clearly.
Or the mask is a symbol of “science” and moral superiority, and they can’t give that up.
|The other day on Twitter someone asked people: why do you care if people are wearing masks outdoors? They’ve just been through a mass death event. Let them do what they want.|
Well, of course I’ll let people do stupid, pointless things if they want.
But here’s why I care:
(1) If people did a rain dance after a long drought I wouldn’t say, “Can you blame them? It’s been a long drought.”
(2) Many of the people still wearing masks, especially outdoors, are the very ones who spent the past year lecturing the rest of us about science. When they themselves act in defiance of science, it rightly makes us question what their true motivations had been all along.
(3) Masks don’t seem to do anything. The “studies” purporting to show that they do either involve arbitrary dates (and thus exclude huge spikes that would be embarrassing to have to explain away) or are just models, in which the model assumes from the start that masks work.
What we know in reality is that we have chart after chart after chart of countries around the world in which, just before a massive spike, some headline read, “How Country X Defeated the Coronavirus,” and the story generally involves masks. After the spike, no journalist revisits the issue and says, “Maybe we were being too simplistic when we attributed country X’s success to masks. The Florida panhandle is mostly unmasked, and their health outcomes are no different from those in the rest of the state. Mandates have ended in numerous states, with no ill effects.
(4) Human communication involves more than words (and even words can be hard to make out with masks on). Masks disrupt the full spectrum of human communication, thereby opening the door to suspicion and misunderstanding.
(5) Are we seriously so debased that I actually have to argue in favor of seeing people’s faces?
(6) Infants and toddlers need facial expressions for their proper development. We all know about the studies involving infants and a mother who is expressionless as opposed to a mother who is smiling. Infants and toddlers today are growing up in what must seem like a soulless dystopia.
(7) If you’re wearing a mask outside in particular, you’re either impervious to evidence or you’re making some kind of statement, and neither possibility is particularly flattering. Nobody would do such a thing without at least a vague sense that it’s scientifically justified. So that means they almost certainly look at my unmasked face and assume scientific ignorance. I don’t particularly care for having that assumption made about me.
At first many of us wondered how the politicians would stand down from all these crazy restrictions and requirements. But now an equally compelling question is whether substantial segments of the American public itself will be willing to ditch these things.
I suspect the masks will come off in large numbers once a critical mass is reached. In other words, the remainder will fall quickly because I think many of those people complied in the first place out of a desire to do what was popular. As soon as masks cease to be popular, this group of people will rip them off pretty darn quickly.