Is this the new crash? the Hindenburg Omen
We didn’t want to be the merchants of doom but we had a suspicion this could happen right about now
the Hindenburg Omen
The Hindenburg omen is a technical indicator that is believed to predict a sharp stock market downturn.
Recently its criteria were fulfilled.
1. The daily number of NYSE new 52 Week Highs and the daily number of new 52 Week Lows must both be greater than 2.2 percent of total NYSE issues traded that day.
2. The smaller of these numbers is greater than or equal to 69 (68.772 is 2.2% of 3126). This is not a rule but more like a checksum. This condition is a function of the 2.2% of the total issues.
3. That the NYSE 10 Week moving average is rising.
4. That the McClellan Oscillator ( a market breadth indicator used to evaluate the rate of money entering or leaving the market and interpretively indicate overbought or oversold conditions of the market)is negative on that same day.
5. That new 52 Week Highs cannot be more than twice the new 52 Week Lows (however it is fine for new 52 Week Lows to be more than double new 52 Week Highs).
When the Hindenburg Omen makes an appearance, it supposedly means that the U.S. stock market is likely to experience a serious decline within the next 40 days.
This could very well be the beginning of the second dip to the recession, so brace yourselves, up until here you’ve had it good.
When the market as a whole is down 2% in a day it’s considered a mild crash, these figures are looking dangerously like that already.