A short review of 1984
In 1949 George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) wrote a book called 1984, and has been considered controversial, for various reasons ever since.
The story involves several key themes such as
- The revision of history by the state
- Pervasive state surveillance, the concept of privacy is destroyed
- The continual modification of language to restrict thoughts to chosen set parameters
- Endless wars, a continual threat to society
- A inner elite, while the masses (Proles) are asleep to what’s really going on
- A demand to conform to contradictory ideas aka “doublethink”
- A standard of living that is continually decreasing while being told that it is improving
- Submission of the individual to the majority
- Thoughts can be crimes, and accordingly a man can be punished merely for thinking of a crime
Needless to say I recommend that you consider putting this one on your reading list.
In future posts I will be testing the themes above in today’s world, are we already in 1984?